Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Am Softer Than My Face Would Suggest

Today is my 33rd birthday. I thought by this age, I'd have some more answers, more wisdom, more . . . well, just more, really. But, instead, what I have more of is back pain and laryngitis, creaky bones and tinnitus. I don't have the fabulous house, or the fabulous car, or the handsome pool boy I always dreamed of. Hell, I don't even have a pool.

But, I have come to one conclusion. It's all good. If I'm honest, I don't need the house or the car. And, as far as the pool boy, well, maybe I'll hold onto that dream. I may not have more, but for the most part, I have enough. Enough of what I need to make me happy. I have family, friends, something I love to do, some one I love to do. I have the essentials. And, while I would kill for the money to jet off to Australia, or the power to effect real change in the world, I'll take what I have with a smile. Because, it is enough. In this moment, it is exactly what I need.

So, after 33 years, that's what I've got. I'm off to make my wish and blow out my candles. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll look like this kid when I'm done with my cake.
_

10 comments:

Danielle said...

happy b-day heidi...i hope you have a great day with your loved ones..and hey, if helpfull, i can come over, hopp on the edge of your bath tub and mime the pool boy...:-)

neve black said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Hey, there's always a story to be written about a pool boy, right?

Jeremy Edwards said...

Balloons!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes, all.

Danielle, I'll have my pool boy someday. Maybe when I'm old and fabulous.

Neve, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Jeremy, I love balloons.

Erobintica said...

Happy Birthday!

face first into the cake sounds like a good way to celebrate

Heidi Champa said...

I think so too, Robin. Thanks!!

Marina said...

Happy, happy birthday, Heidi!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Marina!!

Craig Sorensen said...

Happy Birthday, Heidi. You have a great perspective on life.

Dive into that cake face first and enjoy your celebration!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Craig. I shall do my best.