Thursday, June 6, 2013

They Keep Trying to Row Away, Row Away

June 1st was National Learn to Row Day. Who knew, right? So, I took advantage of the fact that our local rowing club was offering a free tutorial on the basics of skulling, which is two oars. Sweeping is what they call it when you only use one. *There's your fact of the day* I tried my hand at it and while it was very challenging, it was also fun. I got to go out in a two person boat with a lovely instructor who was very helpful and I managed a few good pulls in the open water during our 20 minute session. The pics on this post are from the day.

It was just another way that I found to push myself, to get me out of my comfort zone. (Much like a 5k run through mud and obstacles, which is coming up rather soon.) I decided to try something I'd never done before, just to see if I could. Just to see what it was like. That's something I haven't done for a long time. For years, I avoided even really thinking about doing fun new things because of how I felt about myself and how limited I felt in my old body. While I don't know if anything will come of the rowing thing, it was a fun way to spend a gorgeous Saturday morning.

I've been working on a list of things to do this summer, sort of a Summer Bucket List. I got the idea from a few of the blogs I follow, like this one and this one. It sounded like a great idea, so I've been compiling the list of things I'd like to accomplish before the warm weather disappears.

It isn't comprehensive yet, but I think it's a good start. I challenge the rest of you to come up with your own Summer Bucket List. What do you really, really want to do this year?

Heidi's Summer Bucket List

  • Kayak
  • Stand-up Paddleboard
  • Do an open water swim
  • Read at least 10 books
  • Finish at least four big writing projects
  • Sell my house!!
  • If we sell our house, throw a kick ass house-leaving party!
  • Hike part of the Appalachian Trail
  • Take a road trip, spontaneous or otherwise
  • Have a S'more by a fire
  • Camp in a tent.....maybe a cabin....we'll see
  • .....not sure about the rest yet..... I'll keep you posted!
_

No comments: