Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Although No One Understood, We Were Holding Back the Flood

 
 
"Although it was well written...."

This was a line from a recent review of my new short story, Down Memory Lane. I've seen it a few times over the years and it usually precedes the review writer taking part of my story to task for something. It might be one or more of my characters, a part of the story that didn't work for them or a lack of/too much of something. Whatever it is, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no pleasing everyone. I just try to do the best of I can. And, while I used to take umbrage with reviews like this, I've learned to appreciate them.

You see, well written is the hidden compliment buried in the midst of all the other words that I may or may not agree with. I'm not every one's cup of tea and I know that some of my stories just don't resonate with people. But, well written is something I'll take, whether or not you thought my main character shouldn't have done such a horrible/great thing.

Well written, well, I like the sound of that....
Please to enjoy the Man Candy.... I know I do.
_

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I can understand it. Sex is going into some personal ground and a good story isn't necessarily going to be a turn on. Though it would be much nicer turned the other way - "although I don't like , this story was well written".

Heidi Champa said...

I'm just happy that despite the personal preferences of the reviewer, they still think I'm a decent writer. It's the little things......