Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Planned Each Charted Course, Each Careful Step Along the Byway


Once again, I am late with the Man Candy, and my year end review. A major, major cold socked me right in the sinuses last Thursday and rendered me basically useless. I'm finally starting to feel somewhat human again. Typing was beyond me a few days ago, I could barely keep my eyes open. But, now I'm actually able to string a few words together, so I figured I would go with it.

Ah, 2010. I had dubbed 2010 the "Year of Heidi" in this blog post. At the time, I really had no idea what that meant. I just thought it was funny and sounded like a good way to kick off a new year with gusto. Throughout the year, the meaning of that silly line came into focus a bit more. I knew I wanted to be published more, but I didn't really have a number in mind at first. I figured I would just try to write as much good stuff as I could, and let the chips fall where they may. After a bit, I decided I needed something more tangible, so I settled on the number 25. I was shooting for 25 pieces published in one year. It seemed like an astronomical, crazy number. That was part of the reason I chose it.

As I began writing in earnest and sending things out for consideration, I never really thought about the number I had decided on. It was more like a knick-knack, sitting on a shelf in the background. It was only when I started inching closer to the number that my proclamation came back into my mind. As the acceptances started stacking up, I started to think that my number was too low. 25 started to seem attainable. Just to keep myself motivated, and to keep the finish line far away, I upped the ante. I joked one day that I wanted to double my acceptance total from 2009. As a complete joke, the new number became 36. Completely ridiculous, but in the "Year of Heidi", anything was possible.

As I sat down a few weeks ago, to tally up the year's worth of work, I was stunned to find out that I had done it. I had gotten 37 pieces published in 2010. One more than my extremely lofty goal. They include stories in Best of Best Women's Erotica 2, Please Sir, Alison's Wonderland, Skater Boys, and Best Lesbian Erotica 2011. In addition, I did three readings in 2010 and had my first novella, White Out, published.

So, the "Year of Heidi" certainly turned out to be spot on. As I turn the calendar to 2011, my hopes for the New Year are just as high. I already have many things in the pipeline for the upcoming year and my aspirations are to keep the momentum going. No numbers, no set in stone goals. Just writing and trying to get that writing to as many people is possible. Seems pretty simple, but I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So, I guess 2011 is pretty much "Year of Heidi, Part 2". It doesn't have as nice a ring to it, but it will have to do for now. Until I think of something better.

I thought the Man Candy was appropriate. Thanks again to Arrow of Adonis for their lovely photographic inspiration throughout the year.
_

No comments: