Sunday, January 18, 2009

Darlin' Don't You Go and Cut Your Hair, Do You Think It's Gonna Make Him Change?


"I'm bored." I don't know how many times in my life I've uttered those words to my stylist and friend, Marty. I've been seeing him for 20 years now, since I was 12. He knows what those words mean. It means it's time for a change. Time for something different, to shake things up. And, I said them to him again this weekend.

In all the years I've been going to see Marty, I see a lot of people who get the same hairdo each and every time. Sure, they may shorten it a bit, or grab a few highlights here or there. But, mostly it is the same. I can't do that; don't understand it. I need change, even if it is just something subtle. If I was to sum up my feelings on my hair it would be this: "If you can't change the world, change your hair."

Marty has seen me through a million different things. Bad perms and bad bangs. Sun-In and Manic Panic. The long and short of it. He has been there for all the major events in my life. Every formal dance I ever went to, including my prom. Every wedding I've ever been in, including my own. Not only did he give me my beautiful hair for my big day, he was a guest at the ceremony. He's given me everything from a bleach-blonde french twist to the red spiky pixie. Curly and straight. Blonde, brunette, red and sometimes all three at once. Every possible style, length and concept you could think of. I've been there and done that.

So, one more time, I sat in his chair and told him I was bored. Needed a change. And, he gave it to me. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Once more I have staved off boredom. Who knows what next month will bring?
_

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I never understand ppl who get the same hair year after year. I figure a hair cut costs the same whether it's something new or not so go for the dramatic!

Heidi Champa said...

I agree 100%, Kathryn. Thanks for the comment.

How's the summer going?

Anonymous said...

That makes me want to see a picture of it! :)