Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Don't Be Alarmed If I Fall Head Over Feet


I have always been a bit accident prone. A genuine klutz, a bit clumsy. After all, I am the girl who broke her leg essentially walking. But, it is more than that. I can't carry two drinks without spilling one of them. I can't eat without spilling something on myself. I trip over invisible things; bumps and lumps in my path that aren't really there. I once fell in a parking lot, because it was too much for my body to walk and talk on a cell phone. That is why when I drive, I don't do anything else. It would be too dangerous.

I blame my incessant need to multi-task. Maybe if I wasn't talking and gesturing while I eat, I wouldn't spill something. Maybe if I wasn't doing dishes and filling ice cube trays, I wouldn't drop a glass. And, maybe if I wasn't trying to write a story, an email and sing along to a song, I wouldn't have so many damned typos. Thank God for spell check. It is the clumsy writer's best friend.

I hope everyone had a lovely Labor Day weekend. Now, back to work!!

4 comments:

kathrynoh said...

I'm so clumsy, I fell over and broke my ribs one time when I was running!

Spell check is definitely a blessing. Sanity check would be even better :D

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Heidi,

I hear ya sister -- in fact, I hear ya just a little too loudly. I spilled wine on my son's school schedule last night while simultaneously reading your post, sipping vino, looking for my calendar, and listening to voice mail.

--Just read "If I Had My Time Again" over at Oysters & Chocolate -- oh my. What a wonderful story! I think I've just spilled again -- coffee this time -- it is still morning after all.

My heart ached, he was so damned cute. I pulled at the hem of that Clash t-shirt, but his forceful hands stopped me. He gingerly pulled it over his head and tossed it onto the desk behind us.

“It’s vintage.”

“Sorry.”


Awesome!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Kirsten. I'm fond of that story myself ;)

It's nice to know I have so many clumsy friends out there.

Kathryn, I was so looking forward to a Crows/Cats QF. Oh well, there's always the Grand Final!

Craig Sorensen said...

What you need is a sexy AFL footballer to follow you around and catch you when you stumble, see?

But he can't be a Hawthorn Hawk; he'll be busy since they advanced to the next round. ;-)

All the best to the Cats this weekend!

Craig