Monday, November 1, 2010

What Can Make Good of The Bad That's Been Done?


It is so hard to believe that it is November already. It seems like yesterday we were sweating through the heat and humidity, praying for cooler days. Now, they are here, but we are a mere two months away from Christmas. Insane.

I spent the last weekend of October having as much fun as humanly possible. Friday, I got to have a fabulous lunch with Jeremy Edwards and Craig Sorensen. There was good food and good conversation, and it was lovely to see them both again. Over the weekend, I also found out that my story, Not Just a Myth, will be included in Rachel Kramer Bussel's upcoming anthology, Gotta Have It: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex. It comes out in March and looks to be an absolutely amazing collection of stories.

On Saturday, Anthony and I decided we needed a little more sanity in our lives, so we drove to suburban Maryland, crammed ourselves into the Metro and made our way through the throngs of people to participate in the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. The National Mall was packed full of people of all kinds, with crazy signs and costumes, all there to hear the message and some pretty good music as well. It wasn't always easy to hear or see, due to the tremendous volume of people, but we did our best to get within earshot of the stage.

Much has been made of what it all meant, and if there really was any purpose at all to the rally. All I knew was that I felt like I wanted to be there, to be a small part of trying to stem the tide of crazy that seems to be filling our political process. I continue to pray that extreme views and intolerance don't get a foothold in our congress and I urge all of you to vote on Tuesday to help keep those people from dialing back the progress that has been made in this country.

Enough of my soapbox, I've got to get back to writing. It's NaNoWriMo time again, and I'm participating. So is Shanna and if you haven't checked out her awesome idea/blog, please do so right here. Wish me luck, as I press those keys for hours on end in the hopes of reaching the elusive 50,000 word goal in 30 days. Maybe some Man Candy will spur me on. Hope it works for you too!
_

2 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

It was great having lunch with you, Heidi, and it's great to be in Gotta Have It with you too!

We decided to do the couch potato thing on the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. It was fun from long distance (loved The Roots performance to open things up,) but I'm sure it must have been extra special in person.

Best of luck on NaNoWriMo. Hell, you don't need luck. You'll kick ass.

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Craig. I'm 2000+ words in so far, so I think I'm doing okay.

The rally was awesome!! So many people, it was crazy. But, we had a great time.