Thursday, April 1, 2010

Your Boots Will Have a Meeting, And Your Boots Will Take Control


19 years ago, I approached my mother and told her I wanted a pair of Doc Marten boots. At first she seemed receptive, until I told her how much they cost. She then informed me that, if I wanted them, I'd have to work and save the money for them myself. There was no way she was paying that much for boots for a 14 year old. I stuck my chin out and said fine, I would work for the money.

I worked for the family business, so technically, my family would be giving me the money for the boots I wanted, it was just going to cost me hours and hours of my life handing out smelly bowling shoes and taking sass from customers. But, I did it, and I made the pilgrimage to South Street in Philadelphia and bought myself a beautiful pair of black, suede, 8 eyelet Doc Martens. As many pairs of Doc Martens as I have today (7-ish?) I also still have those same black boots. They don't look like suede anymore, the toes are nearly worn through, and while I wear a size 9.5 now, they are 8.5, but they are so stretched out they still fit.

Despite it all, they are still awesome. Sure, they're not water-tight anymore, I learned that the hard way during this year's blizzards. I could never think of parting with them, no matter how tattered they appear.

Why am I going on and on about these ratty boots? Because Doc Martens turn 50 today, and I felt like celebrating. Ideally, I'd love to run out and buy a new pair, but that is just not in the cards right now. So, instead, I'll bust out my old pair and use them to stroll around town. Happy Birthday, Doc. I don't know what I'd do without you. And, here is a musical tribute, courtesy of the Young Ones.




_

2 comments:

Janine Ashbless said...

Ah jeez, and with that video I'm 15 again...
Terrifying, on so many levels. I mean, Alexi Sayle was fairly scary for a start. And most of the jibes at Rik were aimed squarely at me, I felt...
:-)

Heidi Champa said...

I love that show. I hadn't thought about it in forever, but after reading about Dr. Martens anniversary, I couldn't resist. :)