Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Mouth Is Dry, My Face Is Numb


Today is the day of my reading in Philadelphia, and hopefully the weather will cooperate enough so I can get there without a hitch. I'm really looking forward to sharing some stories with people and getting more comfortable reading my work in public.

I still get so nervous standing in front of a room full of people and reading something I wrote. It doesn't seem to matter how much I practice or how good I think the story is. My hands still get sweaty and shaky, and my mouth goes dry. I'm hoping that the more I do these types of events, the more these symptoms will subside.

Wish me luck!! And, if you are in the area, stop by the Erotic Literary Salon!
_

4 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

I'm hoping that the more I do these types of events, the more these symptoms will subside.

I bet they will.

Meanwhile, have you heard about the strategy of trying to "harness" the nervousness, reinventing it as performance energy?

Have fun tonight! I know the audience will.

Erobintica said...

You will do great Heidi. Only wish I could be there.

The nervousness does subside a bit (though I've never read my erotica - though erotic poems yeah) - but tapping into it is good.

Hope the roads are not bad down there - a plow just hit our mailbox and another vehicle out in front of our house this morning. You'd think by halfway through Feb. they'd have this figured out.

Have fun tonight!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Jeremy. It was a great time and while I was nervous, in the end it was all worth it. Bring on the next reading!!!

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Robin. I wish you could come too. Maybe next time. :) It went really well, and the crowd was awesome. We did and little Q&A at the end, which was amazing. All in all, a tremendous experience.

And the best part, no snow!!