Friday, June 14, 2013

I'm Sorry, I Can't Be Perfect

When I first set out to lose weight, I had myself convinced that I knew what I would look like when I was finished. As I said before, I never really set out to lose 100+ pounds. But, now that I have, things are not exactly as I pictured them.

In short, I thought when I was done with my weight loss, I'd be perfect. Perfect little butt and thighs, no leftover fat anywhere on my body and I would be able to look in the mirror and see the ideal staring back at me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed every day at what my body can do and how it looks now. But, I still have a bit of a belly, that I lovingly refer to as my "bagel" (uncooked, as my skin is as pale as uncooked dough.) My thighs are not free from jiggle and my boobs, well, let's just say my boobs are a bit deflated these days.

But, the one thing I've learned in this whole process is that perfection, whatever that means, is not only unattainable (when you really get down to it), but not even really all that desirable. I'd rather have a body capable of doing things like swimming lap after lap and lifting weight I never thought I'd be able to heft. A body that no matter how much I wish it would listen to me, will probably always have some flaw, real or imagined that I wish would be different. Wasting my time worrying about a little flab here and there is no longer something I'm willing to put myself through. I've got too much to do!

*The photos on this blog are both of Britney Spears, from 2011. The one on the left is airbrushed and "perfected". The one on the right is actually her. So much for perfection, even for the rich and famous.*

No comments: