Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chapter One Again, Here I Go Again


My pencils are sharpened, my patent leather shoes are polished and I have a shiny, new apple for the teacher. Actually, I don't have any of those things. (Come to think of it, I should really have patent leather shoes.)

What I do have is my ID card, my parking pass on my rear view mirror and my overpriced books. My first classes start tomorrow and just like that, I'm back to college. It has been 10 years since I've had to take a test, write a research paper or sit still in a classroom for more than an hour. This will be a challenge. On the one hand they are writing classes, and I'd like to think I can handle the practical aspects of that world.

But, on the other hand, I'm not 18 anymore. There are no keggers waiting on the weekends, no cutting class to run off to D.C., and no late night dorm parties. At the end of my classes, it's back home to responsibility and work. Back to reality. Bummer. College is supposed to be an escape from reality. No wonder non-trads always seemed so annoying. It's because they had to leave us partying fools and head back to poopy diapers and poopier bosses.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and let you know how I'm doing. Keep your fingers crossed that I'm accepted by the locals. Now, do you think they'll let me use erotica for my course work?
_

3 comments:

Neve Black said...

Heidi!
I'm so excited for you! Yah!!

p.s. I love the crazy movie,Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield -

"What are doing tonight?" He asks Sally Kellerman (one of his professors).

"I have class." She answers.

"What about tomorrow night?" He asks again.

"I have class then also." She returns.

"Well, why don't you call me when you have no class." He says smiling.

Love that dialogue sequence. Have fun. Learn a lot. And take us with you, via blogging.

Heidi Champa said...

Absolutely love that movie!! I love the speech Robert Downey Jr. gives about football.

"Me and Standish and Reading, we're doing the anti-pep rally. We believe that violent ground aquisition games such as football are in fact a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war."

Anonymous said...

Tell the locals that you write about sex and I bet you'll be accepted just fine. ;)

Best to you in this endeavor (and always, of course)! And yay patent leather shoes!!